Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sultanahmet Camii (Blue Mosque)

Hey everyone, here is another set of pictures that I've taken here in Turkey. This time, they're of the Sultanahmet Camii in Istanbul - here is a short description, adapted from a Wikipedia article:

The Sultan Ahmed Mosque (Turkish: Sultanahmet Camii) is a historical mosque in Istanbul, the largest city in Turkey. The mosque is one of several mosques known as the Blue Mosque for the blue tiles adorning the walls of its interior. It was built between 1609 and 1616, during the rule of Ahmed I. Like many other mosques, it also comprises a tomb of the founder, a madrasah and a hospice. The Sultan Ahmed Mosque has become one of the greatest tourist attractions of Istanbul.


You can read more about it here. And now, here are some pictures that I took while I was there:




You can see the full gallery here.

Blue Mosque is actually one of the places that my friends and I visited on the same day that we saw Hagia Sophia... so it's probably been nearly two months since I took these pictures. I'm still waaaaay behind in sorting through the pictures I've taken, but I'll get through them all eventually!

.

1 comment:

sultanahmet said...

Flower Passage.
It's like miracle.