Monday, May 19, 2008

Rumelihisarı (Rumeli Fortress)

Shortly after getting back from my Spring Break trip, I, along with my friend Brian and his friend from back home Dan, went to visit Rumelihisarı, which is very close to the Boğaziçi University campus. Here is a short excerpt from Wikipedia:

Rumelihisarı is a fortress located in Istanbul, Turkey, on a hill at the European side of the Bosporus just north of the Bebek district; giving the name of the quarter around it. It was built by the Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II between 1451 and 1452, before he conquered Constantinople. The three great towers were named after three of Mehmed II's viziers, Sadrazam Çandarlı Halil Pasha, who built the big tower next to the gate, Zağanos Pasha, who built the south tower, and Sarıca Pasha, who built the north tower.

For more information, you can go here. This was another one of my favorite places, because it is basically a huge castle. Even though it is so close to where I live, it took forever for me to finally go there. But I'm glad I did! Here are some pictures:



To view the full album, click here.

Wow, I have basically two weeks left here. I will be seeing some of you soon!


.

No comments: